Chipstead is a predominantly commuter village that has had documented homes as a small ecclesiastical parish since theDomesday Survey of 1086, in north-east Surrey, England. Its rolling landscape meant that Chipstead's development was late and restricted compared to parishes of comparable distance from London. Formerly and formally including Hooley and Netherne-on-the-Hill, according to the 1831 census, Chipstead had 66 homes — today, excluding those two parts the village has 1,212 homes spread across part of the North Downs.
The land within and to all sides forms curved valleys of downland. Beyond Chipstead's boundaries are the villages ofWoodmansterne and slightly more distant Coulsdon, Banstead, Hooley and Kingswood. Woodmansterne is in two parts, one of which is in Greater London (as is Coulsdon) — the nearest, the Surrey part is the western follow-on to the built-up valley street of Chipstead. Housing and parks span the east slopes of a narrow valley known as Chipstead Valley or Chipstead Bottom which is a dry valley. This has some subterranean flows common in the chalk hills of the North Downs, a long hill range south of Woking,Croydon and the Thames Estuary. Along the chalky valley a branch line railway passes, serving Chipstead railway station and a winding single carriageway A road.
The residents of Chipstead have prevented installation of street lighting, particularly in the southern parts of the village. Two Residents Associations founded in the 20th century exist. One caters broadly for all parts from Chipstead Valley to Hooley and one concentrates on architectural beauty and views from public places in areas where these may be at risk. The main association draws locals' attention to the seven sports clubs and has identified as among the characteristics Chipstead's mature trees, hedgerows, rural wildlife and dark skies at night:
Villagers value the mature trees and hedgerows, the open fields and farmland, the narrow, winding lanes and the absence of street lighting
Chipstead Downs is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). To the north-west of the village is Banstead Heath, a North Downs rolling plateau of open common land which is used by many groups. A large car park is just north of the village on the road to Banstead. This area is maintained by the Banstead Commons Conservators.
Today Chipstead does not have a clearly defined village centre; instead there are several small areas of economic activity in a largely residential area.
The village is home to many societies, some of which are linked to the church. Another focal point of the village is a small parade of shops, near to its station.
The village lay within the Reigate hundred.
Chipstead appears in Domesday Book as Tepestede. It was held by William de Wateville. Its Domesday assets were: 3 hides; 7 ploughs, 1 mill worth £1, woodland worth 5 hogs. It rendered £8.
The far east of the parish in the 18th century was Hooley which became a well-used road and by the 1830s gained the very early precursor to the railway to Brighton through the Merstham tunnels in the south-east.
The Grade I listed church of St Margaret is in Hooley, the official hamlet of the village, with somewhat isolated geography and its own article. It was restored in 1827 when its patron was the Jolliffe family of Chipstead Court keeping its 12th century arch and foundations. The school in the Victorian era here was endowed by Mary Stephens in 1746 with land producing £70 per annum. Sir Edward Banks (builder) enterprising building contractor for public works, was in 1835 buried in the churchyard — his business partner and daughter's husband being the patrons of the church and owners of Chipstead Court since 1788.
From 1894 until 1934 Chipstead was part of Reigate Rural District.
The current three-member electoral ward Chipstead, Hooley and Woodmansterne had a population of 6,912 as at the United Kingdom 2011 Census.
The census areas which Chipstead occupied were drawn as Reigate and Banstead 004C and 004D.As such, Chipstead has 7.4% of the borough's area and has 2.3% of borough's population. Less than a third of the borough's own proportion of dwelling types, 8% of Chipstead homes were flats or apartments. In total 380 Chipstead residents, 24% of the population in 2011, were retired. Sport and leisure
Within the vicinity of Chipstead, there are several sports clubs, many taking the Chipstead name.