Langley Vale is a residential locality of Epsom and EwellBorough traditionally part of Epsom in the English county ofSurrey. It is mixed buffered: to the north-east by Epsom Downs Racecourse, by hill farms and by Woodcote Park Golf Course. The nearest settlements are Burgh Heath and Tattenham Cornerto the east, Tadworth to the south-east, Walton-on-the-Hill andHeadley to the south, Ashtead to the west and the Woodcote part of Epsom to the north.
Patent Rolls and similar reveal the Vale was originally a farm with several tenants and later it became in effect a single farm (Langley Bottom Farm) and that after the Black Death or at least after the 14th century it started to disappear from the map. In a document dated 1255/1268 the land appears to be held by a William de Langley. John at Ley from Headley takes it on in 1331/2 and again in 1333/4, succeeding John de Langley. In 1347/8 the tenant is a John at Ley then the records give out. In 1435/6 another John Langley is tenant as subtenant of a William de Langhead of Epsom. The manorial survey of 1496 suggests it was being farmed as a single holding.
Historically, the land which comprised the village of Langley Bottom was, until 1877, part of the Ashtead ParkEstate, although it was in the parish of Epsom.
It was subsequently sold as building land. OS maps show gradual development - in 1895, the road layout is shown but no development. By 1913 roads and some houses are named. By 1932 there are more houses but still some undeveloped areas. A great deal of development took place after World War II and in the 1970s infill houses were built on some of the large gardens.
Originally known as Langley Bottom, the 'village' changed its name, likely in the 1930s, to Langley Vale.
The village has a long association with the racing industry and Epsom Racecourse. Many trainers set up training stables within the village and by the 1950s as there was as many as 15 training stables in Langley Vale. Many villagers worked in the racing industry, too.
Epsom and Ewell Borough Council has permitted minor back-plot development which has permitted higher density development, and some subdivision of plots while still keeping to neat road grid (nucleated village layout) with designated but sufficient parking to every house, overall, except for The Derby, which takes place on a start-of-summer weekend.
The village has no pub (The Rubbing House across the racecourse being nearest) and very little in the way of shops, a small community centre and church. There is a single petrol station on the main road, and one school.
Contact Us About This Property