Walton-on-the-Hill, Surrey, is a village in England midway between the market towns of Reigate and Epsom. It lies on theNorth Downs, just inside the M25 London orbital motorway and within easy reach of the Surrey Hills AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty). The village is surrounded by green belt, farmland and protected heathland managed by the Banstead Common Conservators. Along part of its green buffers on all sides, it borders to the north-east its post town, Tadworth. Other neighbouring villages are Kingswood, Headley and Box Hill. The village is served by Tadworth railway station which provides a commuter line into London Bridge Station.
Walton-on-the-Hill has a large pond, a green, a primary school,an independent preparatory school for girls,convenience/repairshops and several public houses.
The village is home to the world famous Walton Heath Golf Club, whose former members include King Edward VIII, Winston Churchill and David Lloyd George.
The Romans are known to have settled here in the 1st century AD: a substantial villa has been excavated in Sandlands Road, and is believed to have been inhabited until around 400 AD. Roman finds have been discovered here and in the neighbouring village of Headley.
Walton-on-the-Hill lay within the Copthorne hundred, an administrative division devised by the Saxons.
Walton-on-the-Hill was called Waltone in Domesday Book of 1086. It was held by John from Richard Fitz Gilbert. Its Domesday assets were: 2 hides and 1 virgate. It had 5½ ploughs, 1 house in Southwark. It rendered £6.There is an early post-conquest motte within the grounds of Walton Place, the remains of a timber castle.The name Walton comes from settlement/farmstead of Wealas - Anglo-Saxon (Old English) for "Celtic-speaking tribes" or by derivation, "strangers/foreigners", see later form Welsh people and related old-fashioned phrases.
A legal record of 1418 mentioning 'Wauton Athill may refer to the village.